Home > The Village > History of Stanton

History of Stanton

History of Stanton

Meaning:    Homestead/village on stony ground

Hundred:    Blackbourn

Deanery:     Blackburne (–1972), Ixworth (1972–)

Union:         Thingoe (1836–1907), Bury St Edmunds (1907–1930)

RDC/UDC:  (W. Suffolk) Thingoe RD (–1974), St Edmundsbury DC (1974–)

Other administrative details: Possible union between the parishes of Stanton All Saints and Stanton St. John the Baptist 17th cent.

Blackbourn Petty Sessional Division

Bury St Edmunds County Court District

Area: 3,319 acres (1912)

Soils: Mixed: A. Slowly permeable seasonally water-logged fine loam over clay. B. Deep fine loam soils with slowly permeable subsoils and slight seasonal water-logging. Some fine/coarse loams over clay. Some deep well drained coarse loam over clay, fine loam and sandy soils

Types of farming:

1086 14 acres meadow, wood for 18 pigs, 2 cobs, 3 cattle, 28 pigs, 52 sheep*, 30 goats

1283 517 quarters to crops (4,136 bushels), 72

head horse, 244 cattle, 112 pigs, 395 sheep

1500–1640 Thirsk: Wood-pasture region, mainly pasture, meadow, engaged in rearing and dairying

with some pig keeping, horse breeding and poultry. Crops mainly barley with some wheat, rye, oats, peas, vetches, hops and occasionally hemp.

1818 Marshall: Course of crops varies usually including summer fallow in preparation for corn


1937 Main crops: Wheat, barley, oats, turnips

1969 Trist: More intensive cereal growing and sugar beet.


* ‘A Suffolk Hundred in 1283’, by E. Powell 1910. Concentrates on

Blackbourn Hundred. Gives land usage, livestock and the taxes paid.



1350–1600 Evidence suggest early enclosures in southern sector

1785 1st enclosure bill rejected by freeholders*. Note: 75% of parish enclosed by 1780’s

1800 831 acres enclosed under Private Act of Lands 1798


*‘Opposition to Enclosure in a Suffolk Village’, by D.

Dymond. Suffolk Review Vol.5 (1), p.13.



1958 Small compact development to SE of main road. Appears to have grown around junction of roads to Bardwell, Walsham le Willows, Hepworth. All Saints church centrally situated. Secondary settlement to north of main road. St Johns church separately situated to the south. Settlement also

exists at Upthorpe. The two main areas of development are divided by the main Bury St. Edmunds–Norwich road. Site of disused airfield occupies eastern sector of parish on boundary with Walsham-le-Willows. Scattered farms.


Inhabited houses: 1674 – 75, 1801 – 135, 1851 – 234, 1871 – 218,

1901 – 190, 1951 – 223, 1981 – 770



Roads: To Hepworth, Walsham le Willows, Bardwell, Ixworth and Barningham. Main Bury St. Edmunds–Norwich road (Scole Bridge to Bury St. Edmunds turnpike road 17/18th cent. By-pass built 1959. 1844:Carrier to Bury St Edmunds on Wednesday and Saturday. Post to Ixworth twice daily

1891/1912: Carrier to Bury St Edmunds on Wednesday and Saturday.


Rail:1891 6½ miles Thurston station. Bury St Edmunds–Cambridge line opened 1846, closed for goods 1964, became unmanned halt 1967.


Air: Shepherds Grove air base: Wartime airbase used by American Air Force. Remained in service

–1956. Land auctioned by Ministry of Defence 1966, part returned to agriculture, remainder converted to industrial estate



1086 – 79 recorded

1327 – 40 taxpayers paid £3 15s. 4d.

1524 – 41 taxpayers paid £4 17s. 10d.

1603 – 329 adults

1662 – 88 householders paid £11 10s. 6 poor persons (receiving alms at Christmas) paid £4 16s.*

1674 – 127 households

1676 – 271 adults

1801 – 728 inhabitants

1831 – 1,035 inhabitants

1851 – 1,082 inhabitants

1871 – 918 inhabitants

1901 – 778 inhabitants

1931 – 660 inhabitants

1951 – 890 inhabitants

1971 – 1,351 inhabitants

1981 – 2,267 inhabitants


* ‘The Hearth Tax Return for the Hundred of Blackbourn 1662’, transcribed by S. Colman. PSIA Vol. XXXII part 2, p.168.


Benefice: Rectory of All Saints with St. James 1831, Discharged Rectory 1891

1254 All Saints: 1 portion valued £6. Portion of St. Faiths 4s. Portion of Almoner of St Edmunds 13s. 4d. Portion of W. de Sengnes £4 £10 17s. 4d

1291 St Johns: Valued £6 13s. 4d. All Saints: Valued £8. Portion of St. Faiths 13s. 4d. Portion of Almoner of St Edmunds in the same £2. £10 13s. 4d. St Johns: Valued £8 6s. 8d.

All Saints was divided into two half rectories (no dates)

1341 Valued £20

1452 All Saints rectories consolidated

1535 All Saints valued £9 6s. 0½ d. St. Johns valued £9 4s. 8d.

1736 Rectories of All Saints and St. Johns consolidated

1831 Glebe house. Joint gross income £657 p.a.

1839 Modus of £977 2s. 7d. awarded in lieu of tithes

1887 31 acres 0R 10P glebe. Joint rent charge of £985 in lieu of tithes

1891 33 acres glebe and commodious residence

1912 Nett value £500 p.a. 31 acres glebe and residence


Patrons: Sir Robert Jermyn (1603), R.E. Lofft (1831), W R. Foster (1912)


Church All Saints - Said to have held a saint called St. Parnell which was subject to Medieval pilgrimage (Dictionary of Saints, extract in parish folder)

(Chancel, nave, S. aisle, W. tower with porch)

1086 Church plus 4 acres. Church plus 28 acres and 4th part of church plus 7 acres

14th cent. Main structure

1875 Restoration

1906 Tower top fell in (suggested tower was detached, linked to main building in 14th cent.) Seats: 250 appropriated, 150 free (1873)


Chapel: Existed near to Stanton Hall in Middle Ages in ownership of Bury monks.


Church St. John Baptist

(Chancel, nave, W. tower – built on 2 arches facing N and S)

1086 As above

14th cent. Main structure

15th cent. Tower

1616 Chancel virtually rebuilt

1785 Clause in Inclosure Bill for demolition

1810 Described as in very bad repair

1817/1819 and 1850’s Restorations

1962 Abandoned and roof removed

1973 Declared redundant

1977 Responsibility of Redundant Churches Fund. Seats: 200 appropriated, 100 free (1873)


Nonconformity etc:


1593 3 recusants ‘obstinatlie refuse to come to publique prayer and hearings of the worded god preached’. 2 persons negligent in receiving communion for 12 months.

1606 1 single woman refuses to attend church and is described as ‘supposed to be dangerously infected with most points of ‘popery’

1611 2 persons negligent in attending church

1796–1846 6 houses set aside for worship

1839 Wesleyan Chapel built, demolished by 1891, new chapel built on new site 1885. Seats 200

1880 Primitive Methodist Chapel built



Stanton All Saints

1066/1086 Manor of 1 carucate belonging to the Abbot of St.Edmunds

1539. Sir Thomas Jermyn owns (linked to Bradfield Combust, Rougham, Lt. Whelnetham and Bardwell)

c.1579 Sir Arthur Capel owns

c.1781 Capel Loffts owns and remained with the Loffts family until early 20th cent. (linked to Troston)

Sub-manors: Stanton St. John, Michfields and Badwells

14th cent. Edmund de Stanton owns

1428 Robert Stanton owns

Late 15th cent. John Ashfield owns

1533 Thomas Jermyn owns (absorbed by All Saints)



1759 Fair for toys held on 11th June

c.1784 Hiring fairs held at Cock Inn

1792/1805 Pedlary fair held on 31st May

1844 Fair for pleasure and pedlary held on Whit Monday

1872 Fair held on 31st May for pleasure and pedlary abolished by 1891


Real property:

1815 Rates 4s. in £

1844 £3,828 rental value

1891 £3,969 rateable value

1912 £3,308 rateable value


Land ownership:

1844 R.E. Lofft and Mrs. Vautier plus small owners

1891 R.E. Lofft, principal owner

1912 A. Maitland Wilson and Surgeon Bros. Ltd., principal Owners


Resident gentry:

1662 Gamaliel Capell DD has property with 6 hearths

1844 Rev. G. Bidwell

1891/1912 Rev. H.S. Dudding MA



1500–1549 1 yeoman

1550–1599 1 mercer, 6 husbandmen, 5 yeomen, 1 labourer, 1 tailor, 1 lime burner, 2 shepherds, 1 parson

1600–1649 1 clerk, 1 butcher, 6 husbandmen, 16 yeomen, 3 labourers, 1 spinster, 1 tailor, 1 bricklayer, 1 clothier, 1 shepherd, 2 carpenters, 1 brickmaker, 1 innholder, 1 timber master

1650–1699 1 clerk, 1 butcher, 3 husbandmen, 25 yeomen, 4 thatchers, 2 labourers, 1 cooper, 1 glover, 1 spinster, 2 tailors, 1 bricklayers, 2 grocers, 1 collar maker, 1 carpenter, 2 innholders, 1 wheelwright, 1 blacksmith, 1 chirurgeon/surgeon, 1 joiner

1831 149 in agriculture, 55 in retail trade, 4 professionals, 38 in labouring, 39 in domestic service, 24 others

1844 Collar/harness maker, 3 victuallers, gardener, maltster, farrier, gamekeeper, 3 beerhouse keepers, 4 academics, 3 bakers, 3 blacksmiths, 4 boot/shoemakers, 3 bricklayers, 2 carpenters, lime burner, 4 corn millers, 19 farmers, 6 grocers, 2 tailors, 2 surgeons, 2 wheelwrights

1912 Sub-postmistress, schoolmaster, police officer, 2 beer retailers, blacksmith, carpenter, 2 bakers, shoemaker, miller (wind), 14 farmers, grocer/draper/outfitter/newsagent, bricklayer, shopkeeper/photographer, tailor, girls school proprietor, builder, 2 farm bailiffs, 2 shopkeepers, 4 publicans, saddler, wheelwright, grocer, blacksmith/ironmonger/rate collector, engineers and

threshing machine proprietor, shoemaker, agricultural engineers, gamekeeper, butcher

c.1966 Shepherds Grove Industrial Estate situated on site of former airfield, accommodates a variety of light industrial businesses

c.1981 Shetland Boats, closed 1982


1794 1 Sunday school existed

1818 3 day schools (53 attend), 1 Sunday school (40 attend)

1833 2 daily schools (45 attend), 1 boarding establishment (established 1823) (20 boys attend), 1 Sunday school (60–100 attend)

1844 4 Academies, 3 of which take boarders

1875 School Board formed

1876 School built to accommodate 200

1877 Public Elementary school built, average attendance 1912 150, closed 1980

1912 Girls school run by Mrs Octavia Hazlewood

1974 Blackbourne Middle School opened

1980 New primary school opened, retained original bell from former school


Poor relief:

1776 £149 19s. 10d.

1803 £622 9s. 8d.

1818 £1,462 14s.

1830 £982

1832 £1,136 10s.

1834 £733 12s.


Charities: Church Land:

1840 7 acres called Chilsaw Croft (ancient acquisition) and 5 acres called Thorns (acquired 1631), lands let at £20 p.a. applied to repair of churches

Town Houses:1779 House and cottage acquired occupied by poor persons

Tricker’s Charity: 1605 By will of Catherine Tricker: lands let at £2 p.a. formerly distributed in bread and money

Firmage’s Charity: 1611 By will of William Firmage: 1 acre 2R 32P called Little Seal, Rattlesden let at £1 11s. applied to purchase of coals

Poors Allotments: 1840 2 allotments of 32 acres and 12 acres respectively awarded on enclosure let at £90 p.a. applied to purchase of coals


Other institutions:

Guild of Jesus (no dates)

1472 Guild of All Saints

1475 Guild of St. John

1779 Town House purchased, occupied by poor rent free 1844

1803 Friendly Society (27 members)

1891 Police officer listed

19th cent. ‘Pest house’ in existence

1912 Loyal Order of Ancient Shepherds



17th cent. 2 innholders recorded

1844 The Rose & Crown, The Cock Inn and The George Inn public houses, 3 beerhouses

1891 3 beerhouses, The Rose & Crown, The George, The Cock and The Horseshoes public houses

1912 As 1891 except the Horseshoes public house has become the Three Horseshoes and there are only 2 beer retailers

1977 ‘Stanton and Hepworth Scout Group: 30 years of scouting’

1979 The Angel public house



Hervey de Stanton (d.1327) founder of Michaelhouse, Cambridge and was Chancellor of Exchequer

Edward Capell (1713–1781) born at Troston Hall. Distinguished commentary on Shakespeare. Held office of Deputy Inspector of Plays.

Capel Lofft (1751–1824) – ‘Capel Lofft, some genealogical notes’, by H. Hawes. Suffolk Review Vol.3 part 3, p.86.

‘The Man who knew everyone – Capel Lofft’ by R.L. Healey. Suffolk Fair (Nov. 1984) p.22.

‘The Life of Capel Loff, communicated by himself’. The Monthly Mirror (1802) contained in Bury Pamphlets Vol.VI.


Other information:

’Church and Parish Messenger’ 1975 –

‘The Churches of Stanton, Suffolk’, by D. Dymond 1977.

Ann Avery (26) supposedly murdered by Thomas Hammond 1794 although he was found not guilty and acquitted. ‘The Turnip Field Murder, Stanton’ contained in ‘Some Suffolk Murders’ by R. Deeks.

‘Roman settlement at Stanton Chair (Chare), Nr. Ixworth, Suffolk’ by G. Maynard and B. Brown. PSIA Vol.22, p.339.

Large heath existed of 375 acres in northern sector of parish 1780’s.

Shepherds Grove Caravan Park 20th cent., situated off the Upthorpe Road.

Village Hall, known as Shepherds Hall, sold 1981, built c.1910.

Village sign unveiled 1986.

16th cent. thatched bakery, run for approx. 100 years by Miller family, destroyed by fire 1975.

Field Court home for the elderly opened 1974.

19th cent. post mill 1760 situated at Upthorpe Hill, built 1807. Grade II listed. First recorded on site 1760. Last example of Norfolk type in existence which is complete.

2 cases of incendiarism due to agrarian unrest 1843, 7 cases in 1844